Christ Church JCR/GCR Welfare Handbook 2022/23


Who's Who in the SCR
Who's Who in the JCR
Who's Who in the GCR
Peer Support
Mental Health
Sexual Health
Sexual Violence
Gender Equality
International Students
Ethnic & Religious Minorities
Low-Income Students
Disabilities Support
Financial/Legal Matters
Academic Matters
Myths Debunked
Reporting Harassment


We’re Yan, Gareth, Aoife, and Saarrah, your JCR/GCR Welfare Reps. We’re all on hand to help you however we can. We’ll be the ones emailing you with updates on welfare events, workshops and other things to look out for, both within college and across the wider university. We’re also free for a chat any time; if you need us, or want to ask anything, let us know and we’ll try to arrange something.

The Welfare Team at Christ Church includes over 30 people (outlined in the Who’s Who section) each with different roles, so there’s always something going on or someone to talk to!

This booklet will give you information about all the different avenues of support available (inside and outside Christ Church) and how to access them, but if you have any questions, feel free to contact any member of the Welfare Team!

Things to look out for in college include the drop-in sessions, where one of the Peer Supporters can be approached for a chat, and weekly events like yoga, Late Night Tea Break, and movie nights.

We will keep you up to date via weekly welfare emails.

Oxford can be an overwhelming place to be, so it’s important to take time for yourself, and to reach out when you need to. Whatever your issue, and whatever the scale of it, there will always be someone ready to listen.

We’re looking forward to seeing you around college!


This link opens a PDF version of the Welfare Flowchart, alternatively you can click here for a text-only version of the same information.

SCR Welfare

The wardens and other senior welfare persons have all had mental health training with the Counselling Service to support students in difficulty. They have also been trained in supporting survivors of sexual violence.

Your confidentiality will always be respected, unless you are at immediate risk of harming yourself or others.

Clare Hayns - Welfare Co-ordinator and College Chaplain

Killcanon 1

Wanderley Santos - College Counsellor

Killcanon 2a

College Nurse

Killcanon 2

Kate Lebow - Welfare Tutor

Dirk Aarts - Senior Censor

for academic matters

Brian Parkinson - Junior Censor

for welfare and non-academic matters

Helen Etty - Academic Registrar

for difficulties regarding disability, finance or examinations
Tom 8

Sanskriti Swarup - Warden

Declan Pang - Warden

Luke Young - Warden

Contact via Porters Lodge -- for emergencies

Anna Clark

Tutor for Graduates

JCR Committee

Gareth Johnson - Welfare Officer

Yan Yu - Welfare Officer

Zina Gharakhani and Ben Thomas - LGBTQ+ Rep

Ade Olugboji and Nyat Aron-Yohannes - ERM Reps

Michalina Maksymowicz-Maciata - International Officer

Sòlas McDonald - Disabled Students' Officer


GCR Committee

Delaney Dominey-Foy - President

Andrew Paulley - Vice President

Ayman D'Souza - BAME Officer

Saarrah Ray - Gender Equalities Officer

James Cullis - Disabilities Officer

Benjamin Nabnian - LGBTQ+ Officer

Saarrah Ray - Welfare Officer

Aoife Miralles - Welfare Officer


Peer Support

Peer Supporters have had 30 hours of training with the Counselling Service in listening skills, crisis support and other methods of help across the university. We provide confidential support (unless you are at immediate risk of harming yourself or others), and anyone is welcome to talk to us about any issue, no matter how big or small. We are here to listen, and to signpost you to other helpful resources and relevant services.

We are all around and available for a chat throughout term and can be contacted via the emails below, on Facebook or in person. Some of us will always be at Late Night Tea Break on Tuesdays and you are welcome to grab us if you see us around college.

Rainbow Peers and Peers of Colour:

Rainbow Peers and Peers of Colour are also available to provide support for LGBTQ+ and ERM issues respectively. See their details below to get in touch directly, or contact any of the Peer Supporters.

Rainbow Peers - LGBTQ+ Peer Supporters

Peers of Colour - BME/ERM Peer Supporters

Alex - Peer Support Coordinator, Rainbow Peer

Tom - Rainbow Peer







Porters’ Lodge

01865 276150

Porters all have basic first-aid training, and there are first-aid kits available in the lodge if you need to use them.

Notify the porters if you have called an ambulance as they will be able to open the gates for it or call one for you during an emergency. They can also call a taxi for you and College will pay for it.

Important numbers

  • 999: Life-threatening situations
  • 111: Free hotline for urgent (but not life-threatening) medical advice
  • 01865 24 00 00: 001 Taxis to get to hospital A&E. Can alternatively be booked via the porters’ lodge

College Nurse

Mon-Fri 9.30am-4.30pm

Hanne is our college nurse. She's a great in-college contact for mental or physical health issues. She will be able to offer you certain treatments or get you referrals onto other services (e.g. a GP or Counselling Service), sometimes faster than the normal route.

As Christ Church students, you can email to make an appointment during any of her surgery hours at Christ Church (Killcanon 2). Christ Church is a nursing hub and students from Oriel and Corpus will also come to see the nurse here.

GP Practice

27@Northgate, Northgate Health Centre, Cornmarket Street, Oxford, OX1 3EF

Mon-Fri 8am-6pm (phone line till 6.30pm)

01865 311500

Susanna Jenkin is the college doctor. GPs act as the first point of contact for healthcare issues to all students (UK-domiciled or not). It is vitally important that you register with the College GP.

You can book appointments in person or by phone (typically arranged within 48h if possible), and request to see a specific doctor if you wish. Call between 8 and 9 AM for on-the-day appointments.

Alternatively, you can call the reception and ask to speak to the ‘duty doctor’ on the phone. They will be able to assess the situation and address it over the phone or call you in for an appointment if necessary.

You can also book online (a couple of weeks in advance) for non-urgent matters at

NHS Dental Clinic


Oxford Brookes,
Headington Campus,
Colonnade Building,
3rd Floor,
Gipsy Lane,
Oxford, OX3 0BP

01865 689997


John Radcliffe Hospital

Headley Way,
Oxford OX3 9DU 

0300 304 7777

A&E department and minor injuries unit.

Churchill Hospital

Old Road,
Oxford OX3 7LE

0300 304 7777

Specialised outpatient departments. Reached via bus 4 (Wood Farm).


Please refer to the 'Disabilities Support' section.


The porters can put taxis to & from the hospital or a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) onto the college account if you ask via the plodge.

Getting reimbursement

Hanne can provide reimbursement for the following if you bring your receipts:

  • Taxis to and from hospitals (for injuries). This is for extenuating situations only - you should always contact the lodge if you require a taxi to the hospital.
  • Taxis to and from lectures (for injuries)
  • Buses to/from the GUM sexual health clinic
  • Morning after pill

Free NHS Services Entitlement

Under 19:

Free prescriptions + dental care + eyesight tests.

Pregnant/baby in the past 12 months:

Free prescriptions + dental care.


Free eye tests.

NHS Low Income Scheme:

Offers help with health costs based solely on household income. More info at NHS England.

Addiction help charities

The following charities can provide anonymous support to those struggling with addiction.

Change, Grow, Live:

CGL delivers over 20 services across England and Wales that provide specialist advice/support to young people up to the age of 25, covering:

  • Drug and alcohol use
  • Health and wellbeing
  • Offending behaviour
  • Mental health
  • Supporting someone else

Alcoholics Anonymous:
0800 9177 650 (FREE helpline)

15 different meetings happening within one mile of Christ Church throughout the week.

03001236600 or text 82111

Live chat 2PM- 6PM

Website with lots of resources for those struggling with drugs or supporting someone who is.

Narcotics Anonymous:
0300 999 1212  FREE helpline 10 am – midnight

Five different meetings within one mile of Christ Church throughout the week.

GamCare UK:
0808 8020 133 (FREE)24/7

Offers free information, advice and support for anyone affected by problem gambling

Mental Health

Mental health problems can be overwhelming and isolating, especially at university. It’s an important thing to be aware of: your mental health can affect every aspect of your life, so being aware of your own needs and reaching out when you need to can be vital. Oxford has a lot of resources for mental health, both in and out of college, and Christ Church can also give you support in seeking help externally. You're by no means on your own, and you'll be treated with confidentiality and respect.

Where to go in college

Our college has its own college counsellor - Wanderley Santos. He will be available every Tuesday during term and you can book a session to see him. This does not stop you from seeking support from the university counselling service though, and you are free to book with either.

Other support available in college can be divided into JCR, GCR and SCR.

The JCR Welfare Team includes the Welfare Reps, the LGBTQ+, ERM, Inreach, and Disabilities Reps, the Peer Support Coordinator and Peer Supporters. Members of the Welfare Team are all available to talk to about mental health, or specific reps can point you to other services/relevant resources that might be helpful.

The GCR Welfare team is similar to the JCR welfare team in its members and functions, but are mainly for the support of members of the GCR while the JCR team is available mainly for support of members of the JCR.

The Senior Welfare team can be found in the Who’s Who section which contains Contact details and room numbers. Most of the staff members holding a senior welfare position have had mental health training, and in general, the mental health training in the SCR is very extensive.

In addition, there are wardens who can be contacted through the porters in an emergency.

The JCR/GCR team can help to signpost you to the appropriate members of the SCR, or to external services (such as the counselling service) if you approach them.

Peer Supporters:

Peer Supporters have received 24 hours of training with the Counselling Service on supportive and sensitive listening skills, and provide a safe space for you to talk about any problem or issue without judging or giving advice. If you would like, they can refer you on to services like groups for students or the Counselling Service. They provide confidential support – they won’t tell anyone unless you’re at immediate risk of harming yourself or others – and can also refer you on to a Peer Supporter at another college if you’d prefer.

You can find Peer Supporters at drop-in sessions or welfare events such as Late Night Tea Break. Alternatively, feel free to get in touch over Facebook or email, any time – someone will always be happy to talk to you.

There are also Rainbow Peers and Peers of Colour for LGBTQ+/ERM students, who can be found on Facebook or by getting in touch with a member of the Welfare Team.

College Nurse:

The college nurse, Hanne, is available to students every weekday. You can also Hanne ( with questions. She can give you key support in finding help both within and outside of college, such as helping you find a psychiatrist or arranging an appointment with a GP.

College Chaplain:

Clare is available to talk to anyone in college (regardless of religious belief) and will provide a safe and confidential space. She is often the first point of call for welfare issues as she is also the Welfare Coordinator. She puts on weekly ‘Brain Strain’ teas for students to relax and have a chat. She can be contacted by email at to arrange a meeting, or a cup of tea.

Other SCR Members:

Other Senior Welfare contacts are listed at this link. Your own tutor may also be worth talking to – they are often helpful and understanding, and can help alleviate academic stress and adapt to your situation.

Services Outside College:

Outside of individual colleges, Oxford also has several support services available to all students, as well as student-run groups and societies. A lot of resources, including helpful podcasts, can be found on the University Website.

The Counselling Service:

01865 270300

3 Worcester Street (near Gloucester Green)

The University of Oxford has its own counselling service, which can be quicker and more easily accessible than NHS counselling. Even if you don’t have long-standing mental health issues, the Counselling Service can be useful for talking through a situation that’s bothering you, or attending group sessions and workshops on things like sleeping difficulties and low mood. Individual appointments are typically made within 2 weeks of a request, though more urgent cases will get appointments sooner. Waiting time can be longer at the start of term and shorter at other times. The staff are professionally trained and widely experienced in helping students with a range of problems. Their website also includes a section of useful resources on topics including sleep, stress management, healthy eating and time management.

To book an appointment with the Counselling Service, you need to fill in a pre-appointment form which will help them make sure you’re seeing the right person and that you can get the appropriate help. They can also try and arrange for you to not see the same counsellor as someone else, or to avoid similar appointment times.

You can either email, phone or go in person (quickest way) to ask for a form. Information about the Counselling Service and the different things it offers can be found on their website.

Royal College of Psychiatrists

The Royal College of Psychiatrists’ website is one of the most comprehensive and expert places to access information, advice and other services such as podcasts and leaflets. It’s a good place to start for many issues.

Your GP:

27@Northgate, Northgate Health Centre, Cornmarket Street, Oxford, OX1 3EF

01865 311500

Your GP can often be a good port of call for mental health issues, as they can assess your individual needs and develop a plan accordingly. Appointments are typically scheduled within 48 hours (although this may not be possible in busy periods) and can be made in person or on the phone. If you need to be seen more urgently, it may be worth emphasising this when requesting an appointment. The practice also reserves several on-the-day appointments, which can be booked by phoning between 8-9 AM that day.

Visiting a doctor about mental health can feel daunting, but you can request a specific doctor or a doctor of a certain gender if you’d rather. Hanne, the college nurse, can also book you an appointment.

Private treatment:

For more serious mental health problems that require more help than the Counselling Service or NHS can provide, you can see the Censors about receiving support from college for funding private treatment.


01865 270270 (found on your bod card!)
Skype ID: oxfordnightline
Instant Messaging here

Anonymous listening service for when you want to talk to someone, open from 8pm–8am every day from 0th–9th Week. There will always be both a male and female volunteer available to take your call. They also provide a service where you can call to have someone to chat to as you walk home alone.

Disability Advisory Service:

DAS website

If you have a long-term mental health condition such as depression, bipolar, anxiety disorders (including OCD and PTSD), eating disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), personality disorders, schizophrenia, psychosis, etc. you can access study support through the Disability Advisory Service.

Check the Disabilities section or the DAS website for more information.

Groups and Societies

Mind Your Head:

FB: Mind Your Head Campaign

The Mind Your Head campaign is an organisation founded at Oxford that aims to raise awareness of mental health and reduce the associated stigma, organising events throughout the year and running a blog that has articles about mental health as well as stories from Oxford University students who have experienced mental health problems. Events and further information can be found on their Facebook page.

You can book appointments to see them on their website or by phone. Drop-in times and locations are shown on here.

The Student Advice Service:

Student Advice Service Website

07436 225637 or 07436 225630
Monday-Thursday from 10.30am-12.30pm during term time only

The Student Advice Service (SAS) is an advice, information, and advocacy service run by a full-time manager, Cate, and two part-time advisors, Nicky and Hanne. All three are happy to listen to you and advise you on any matter (incl. financial, academic, and legal worries) and have expertise in mental health – Cate is a trained psychologist. More information about the three advisors and how to get in contact can be found on the Oxford SU website.

Day Time Location
Monday(0th-8th) 11:00 - 13:00 Radcliffe Science Library
Tuesday (0th-8th) 11:00 - 13:00 Manor Road Building
Wednesday (0th-8th) 14:00 - 16:00 Oxford SU, 4 Worcester Street





Student Minds:
FB: Oxford Student Minds

Student Minds is a student mental health charity that offers a wealth of information for both students suffering from mental health issues and those supporting a friend. They run a support group for eating disorders that meet weekly throughout term, and also run workshops such as ‘Supporting Supporters’ within Oxford.

Oxford Student Mindfulness Society:

FB group and FB page (same name)

They run weekly drop-in mindfulness sessions throughout term. Mindfulness meditation is a non-religious and effective means of alleviating stress, anxiety and depression, and promoting wellbeing.

It Gets Brighter:

It Gets Brighter collects and features short video messages of hope from those living with a mental health issue, and those who support them. The website currently has hundreds of videos, and they take submissions either online or through one of their regular drop-in filming days. The videos can be a great reminder that you’re not alone in your struggles, and that recovery does happen.

Mental Health Apps:

What’s UP?:

For Android
For Apple

This app uses Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Acceptance Commitment Therapy methods to help deal with anxiety, depression, anger and more. It includes a habit tracker, a diary, forums, and methods to overcome negative thinking patterns, along with a range of other useful and grounding features. It’s completely free.

External Resources


116 123 (24/7, all year)

Samaritans is an anonymous, confidential listening service available at any time of day on any day of the year on 116 123. You can call and speak to someone trained in sensitive listening about any issue. Rather than giving advice, they aim to provide a space to talk through an issue and explore your options, and can refer you on to other services and resources if you’d like. The Samaritans website also has links to other helpful resources.

0300 123 3393 (9AM-6PM Mon-Fri)

The Mind website has A-Z information sheets on a huge range of mental health issues, as well as advice on how to seek help and information on different therapies. Mind also has support helplines, including an info-line for information on mental health and treatments, and an online support community, Side by Side offers a place to seek help and support from others and ask advice on an online moderated forum.

Rethink SOS Guide:

Download the Rethink SOS guide here

If you’re supporting someone else, are worried about someone, or find yourself faced with a difficult situation, Rethink has a guide offering practical advice on recognising distress signals and responding to them. The guide covers panic attacks, suicide and other topics, and can be found on the Rethink website.

0808 801 0677

Beat campaigns for beating eating disorders and have lots of information for spotting and dealing with eating disorders on their website, as well as online chatrooms to talk to other recoverers/supporters.

Sexual Health

In college

College nurse

The Cupboard of Requirement:

Located in Killcanon (just past the chaplain’s office, turn right and then it will be on your left) and in the hall to the Handel Davies room in Liddell. It is a free stash of sanitary items, condoms, dental dams, lube and pregnancy testing kits. Help yourself, but please use responsibly as this is a communal resource!

Similar supplies can be found in cupboards in both the Male and Female bathrooms in the GCR.

While the cupboard is great and should be stocked well, do strongly consider getting a C-card. It’s free, easy and gives better variety (and consistency) than the cupboard.

In Oxford

GUM (Genitourinary Medicine) Clinics:

The Oxfordshire Sexual Health Clinics offer free and confidential walk-in clinics and other useful sexual health services. They provide emergency contraception, testing and treatment for STIs and advice on safe sex. They can also provide contraception fitting and pregnancy/termination advice.


01865 231231
Harrison Department,
Churchill Hospital, Old Road,
Headington, OX3 7LE

Rectory Centre:

Rectory Road,
Oxford, OX4 1BU
NB: They deal with routine testing only. If you have symptoms go to the Churchill clinic as they have more equipment.

Our clinics are open by arrangement only (please do not drop-in). Buses to/from these clinics can be reimbursed by the College Nurse.

Day Clinic Times
Monday Churchill 09:00-14:30
  Rectory 09:30-18:30
Tuesday Churchill 09:00-14:30
  Rectory 09:30-18:30
Wednesday Churchill 12:30-14:30
  Rectory 13:30-18:30
Thursday Churchill 09:00-14:30
  Rectory 09:30-18:30
Friday Churchill 09:00-14:30
  Rectory 09:30-15:30
Saturday Churchill 09:00-12:00
  Rectory CLOSED
Sunday Churchill CLOSED
  Rectory CLOSED













STI Testing Scheme:

Sends a test kit discreetly to you if you would rather not go to a clinic. It is recommended you get tested for chlamydia in particular every time you change sexual partner as it is commonly without symptoms particularly in the early stages.

Emergency contraception:

OXME website with details.

Emergency hormonal contraception (or EHC) is taken if you forgot to use contraception or contraception failed.

Available for free from your GP, any of the above clinics or (if you’re 21 or under) at Boots on Cornmarket (01865 247461) or other participating pharmacies (a full list can be found on the OXME website). EHC can also be reimbursed Hanne.

C- cards:

This entitles you to free condoms and lube from participating centres in Oxfordshire (the nearest being Boots on Cornmarket). You can also specify a specific type of condom if you wish.

Register for the card online here.

Terrence Higgins Trust:

0808 802 1221

Charity devoted to supporting individuals living with HIV and promoting early testing and treatment. They operate a help-line that you can call if you have questions about HIV, such as whether you are at risk and how to get tested.

Sexual Violence

Remember: Consent is always mandatory

If you have experienced sexual violence, we will try to make sure you are supported in whatever way you feel you need. Whether it’s a friendly, supportive conversation or signposting methods of support, our Welfare Team is here to help. Our senior welfare team members have undergone training specifically to support survivors of sexual violence.

Getting help for Sexual violence

First and most importantly, know you can talk to someone, when and if you feel ready to. Whatever you are feeling is completely normal – your friends, family, Peer Supporters, Welfare Team, Chaplain, Nurse, Welfare Tutors, Counselling Service, GP and other dedicated services are all there to support you!

The whole Welfare Team are there to listen in a safe, non-judgemental way, and anything discussed will remain confidential. They will be able to find resources and help you decide how you want to proceed. Clare and the wardens are available to accompany you as support figures, should you wish it. If you choose to report a rape or sexual assault, then there are many options that are open to you, outlined in the following sections.

The police:

999 (emergency)
101 (non-emergency)

Thames Valley Police,
St. Aldate’s - 01865 841148

Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC):

0800 970 9952
Police House, Queens Ave
Bicester OX26 2NR

Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs) are evidence collection and support centres. Women, men, and children can use a SARC. They provide a 24/7 crisis support line where a case worker will listen to your concerns and discuss your options with you. They can arrange for a visit, where forensic evidence may be taken, and arrange follow-up appointments. They also provide independent advocacy, support with practical matters, telephone advice, and signposting to external services.

You can get a taxi to a SARC by going to the Porters’ Lodge. This will be paid for by college, no questions asked. You can also take a friend or someone from the Welfare Team with you if you want to.

Oxford Sexual Assault and Rape Crisis Centre (OSARCC):

Heyford Park House,
Bicester, OX25 5HD

Phone support:

0800 783 6294 (freephone)

  • Monday: 18:30-21:00
  • Thursday: 18:30-20:30
  • Friday: 11:00-13:00
  • Sunday: 18:00-20:30

OSARCC is a collective of women committed to supporting survivors of sexual abuse, rape, domestic abuse, and harassment. OSARCC offer a free and confidential service to women and girls who are dealing with the effects of sexual violence, as well as anyone supporting them. They can collect evidence should you choose to speak to the police later.

They also run a telephone help-line and email support service, available on their website.

College and Uni Services

Sexual Harassment and Violence Support Service:

This provides confidential advice and support for survivors of sexual violence and also for those accused of sexual violence.

They are specially trained in responding to incidents of sexual harassment and violence. They offer a response that is non-judgemental, non-directive and puts you in control of what happens next.

The support service is run by a team of three highly trained specialist advisors and an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) who work solely with survivors. They have female, male, and non-binary advisors, and members who identify as BAME and LGBTQ+.

Morgan, the current ISVA, is employed by Oxfordshire Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre (OSARCC) and exclusively supports students. Morgan is completely independent from the University. 

In College:

If an assault or rape has occurred and you need immediate support then contact the Lodge and they will call a trained member of the welfare team.

For in-college matters, the best place to go is to a member of the SCR – particularly the Chaplain, Wardens (can be contacted from the Lodge) or Junior Censor. They will be able to investigate further and help you decide on the appropriate course of action.

You can also get in touch with It Happens Here (below) which is Oxford SU’s autonomous campaign against sexual assault.

It Happens Here:

This is Oxford SU’s campaign against sexual violence that raises awareness about sexual violence and rape in the university. The co-chairs are contactable via the above email address.

It Happens Here also has a blog where you can post your story anonymously if you feel like that would be helpful in processing your feelings and thoughts. There is more information about It Happens Here on Oxford SU’s website.

Other Support Services

Survivors UK:

for male survivors
You can chat online immediately or by SMS text on 020 3322 1860.


for LGBTQ+ survivors
0800 999 5428 Mon-Fri 10am-5pm Wed/Thurs 10am-8pm

The Survivors Trust:
0808 801 0818
chat via SMS 02033221860
chat via Whatsapp 07491810094

The Survivors Trust (TST) is a UK-wide national umbrella agency for 135 specialist organisations providing support for the impact of rape, sexual violence and childhood sexual abuse throughout the UK and Ireland.

Women’s Aid:
LiveChat here

A grassroots federation providing services and support for victims of domestic abuse.

National Stalking Helpline:

This site provides helpful definitions and examples of stalking behaviour, advice about what to do if you think you are being stalked, an online tool to assess if you are being stalked and has a helpline you can contact.

Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline:

0800 731 055 Monday-Friday: 8am-6pm; Saturday: 10am-4pm

The Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline can provide emotional support and practical information for adults affected by domestic abuse. It works with victims to empower them to make decisions regarding their relationship, irrespective of whether they wish to leave or not.

Gender Equality

Oxford SU VP for Women:

Ellie Greaves

Oxford SU Women’s Campaign:

WomCam Website
FB: Oxford SU Women’s Campaign

Oxford Feminist Society:

This is the University’s intersectional feminist society, which debates and campaigns for empowerment and equality for all.

Oxford Women’s Counselling Care:
01865 725617

Counselling for women in Oxford by woman counsellors.

Night Safety:

IF Something Bad Happens:

If you have an iPhone, you can rapidly tap the lock screen button 5 times, which starts an emergency call.

If you feel unsafe:

You can call Nightline (01865 270270, found on the back of your Bod Card), and they have a service where you can chat to someone as you walk home alone. - an app where if you feel unsafe you keep your thumb on the screen and if you release it and do not tap in a pin then it calls your local emergency services automatically.


LGBTQ+ is an abbreviation of the words Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer/Questioning. They are descriptive terms chosen by some people as a means to describe or define their sexuality or gender identity. However, there are people who perceive these descriptors as constraining and opt not to use them. There are more terms which have not been adopted into the acronym that provide further descriptors for people who align themselves with alternative sexualities or gender identities, and these are equally as valid. More information and identity specific resources can be found at

Although Christ Church can seem like a daunting environment to live in, there is a strong and welcoming LGBTQ+ presence in college willing to provide advice, company and help to any who may need it.

LGBTQ+ Booklet

This section contains only a fraction of the resources available to LGBTQ+ students at Oxford. On the JCR website, an additional LGBTQ+ booklet can be found which provides a greater list of resources and advice on all manner of issues from ‘coming out’, to getting involved with Oxford’s LGBTQ+ community, and raising matters of sexuality or gender identity with tutors. Contact the LGBTQ+ rep if you’re having trouble finding it.

If you experience an issue in college related to your gender identity and/or sexual orientation, you can bring it to the LGBTQ+ Officer, to the Welfare Coordinator or directly to the Censors, who are all committed to upholding equality and supporting LGBTQ+ students.

Support in college

More information about reporting harassment or discrimination.

Transgender Policy:

Christ Church aims to give support and understanding to all trans individuals (whether or not medical supervision or surgery are involved in the transition). The policy covers people at all stages of the process, begun or complete.

As always, confidentiality will be respected, and ‘outing’ someone without their permission is a reportable form of harassment. College officers will receive training to make sure Christ Church remains a safe and inclusive environment for trans members.

Christ Church also has its own Gender Expression Fund which allows students to be reimbursed if they purchase gender affirming items. This is separate to the university’s fund and is specific for our students.

Support outside college

Rainbow Peers:

Rainbow Peers are Peer Supporters who are also LGBTQ+ and so may be able to provide more support with LGBTQ+ specific issues you’d like to talk through.

You can email/message the Rainbow Peers directly or get in touch with one of the Christ Church Peer Supporters to be put into contact with a Rainbow Peer. They also run university-wide events advertised on their Facebook page.

Oxford Nightline

LGBTQ+ Campaign:

Oxford SU website

Oxford SU VP for Welfare & Equal Opportunities:

Grace Olusola

University Counselling Service

Self-help resources including a page on sexuality.

Oxford University LGBTQ+ Society

FB: Oxford University LGBTQ Society

At the centre of the university’s LGBTQ+ social and welfare scene, the society runs LGBTQ+ events including club nights and chilled out brunches across the Oxford colleges. You can sign up for the mailing list by sending a blank email to

Its committee also includes asexual, bi/pan and transgender welfare reps alongside its women’s/men’s welfare reps. You can message them on Facebook to be put into contact with a specific rep.

National Support

Mind UK:

Provides advice and support on mental health issues, including sexuality-specific ones.


01865 243 389
Oxford homophobic awareness liaison team.


03003 300 630
LGBT+ helpline.

Stonewall Healthy Lives:

Offers advice on LGBTQ+ health issues (mental and other).

The Metro Centre:

Services for anyone experiencing issues around sexuality, gender, equality, diversity or identity.

Galop UK:

LGBT-specific support for sexual violence survivors.

International Students

Moving to a new country can be stressful and disorienting, but there are plenty of fantastic resources available to help with the transition. Take a look at the Oxford University Welcome Service and the International Students section of the University Website and our Academic Office will send detailed guidance to new students about moving to Oxford and joining the University. New undergraduates may also wish to speak to our JCR International Reps about any practical concerns. These Reps are here to advocate for the welfare of international students in college, and can also refer you to the multitude of other resources at Christ Church and the university as a whole.

Please ask the International Reps if you need something that you don’t see here. You can also contact the GCR Welfare Reps as dealing with these types of issues are under their purview.

Visas and Bank Accounts

Advice on visas can be found on the university website as well as in the email newsletter you will automatically receive. This sometimes contains important changes to visa conditions and deadline reminders, so it is important you have at least a quick skim before deleting those!

The most up-to-date guidance on opening a bank account in Oxford can be found here. Other legal matters, such as insurance, may be very different from your home country so do not hesitate to ask for advice if you are unsure about something.

Clubs and Societies

The country and region specific societies at Oxford are numerous – wherever you’re from, you will probably find that there is a university-wide society with plenty of other students from home. They are all easy to find through the register of student clubs. Most societies will also have booths at the Freshers’ Fair in October. If you need any help tracking down a specific club please let the International Officer know.

Pre-term arrival

For international students, especially those coming from really far away, it is often recommended to be back in college a few days in advance to make the transition smoother and settle in properly before the start of the term, so as to ensure that nothing is missed from the quintessential Oxford experience. For this, Christ Church provides students with Vacation Residence Grants. More information is available in the Blue Book.

The Oxford Vacation Project

The Oxford Vacation Project is a new initiative which aims at providing all sorts of information, from accommodation to events for students staying back in Oxford during vacations. The page will be updated regularly to provide students with useful information for all vacations. The page can be found at and may act as a useful guide for those with extended stays in Oxford.

International Students’ Campaign

FB: International Students Campaign - OUSU
Campaign website

Oxford SU Campaign committed to representing and improving the welfare of international students. They may be particularly helpful to you at the beginning of your time at Oxford, as they can provide support for your transition to life in the UK. If you’d like to get involved with the Campaign or be put on the mailing list for their events, you can get in touch with them at:


The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is a national body serving the interests of international students. Their website contains helpful resources/information for international students (EU/Overseas) coming to study in the UK, particularly on legal matters.


Ethnic and Religious Minorities

Making the transition to life at university can be exciting, but nonetheless daunting at times. Being from an ethnic and/or religious minority (ERM) background can be a cause for concern for some students, especially if you're worried about not fitting in or not finding other students who can relate to aspects of your identity and culture. Our ERM reps are her to make sure these potential worries are addressed, so that you can get back to enjoying your time at Oxford. If you have any ERM-related concerns or just want a general chat about anything to do with ERM issues, feel free to come and speak to the ERM Reps. The ERM Reps are the representatives for ERM students in college, and will circulate information about ERM events. Most importantly, they are a point of contact for any ERM-related issues that may come up, whether they concern you directly or another student or staff member. They can also signpost you to other people and resources, for example a Peer of Colour, or a welfare rep from a specific Oxford society which you may identify with.

Important information about reporting harassment or discrimination.

Ade Olugboji and Nyat Aron-Yohannes - ERM Reps


Campaign website
FB: Oxford SU Campaign for Racial Awareness and Equality

The Campaign for Racial Awareness and Equality is open to everyone – you don’t have to be an ERM student to come to this. CRAE meets once a week and it’s a really great space to discuss concerns and thoughts about race and work out how to make Oxford as inclusive as possible.

Peers of Colour

This is a university-wide group of ERM students who have received Peer Supporter training. They are available if you’d like to talk to a peer supporter who shares your perspective as an ERM student, and they also run university-wide welfare events for ERM students.

Students of Colour Group
Email for a self-referral form

Six 90-minute sessions run by the University Counselling service, providing a confidential space for students of colour to collectively reflect on things affecting their academic and/or social experience at Oxford, such as academic pressure, racism, and relationship problems. Each group comprises 6 participants, and is facilitated by two staff members from the Counselling Service who are also persons of colour.

Low Income Students

Coming to Christ Church from an underprivileged or under-represented background can be nerve-wracking, but there are plenty of places to turn both within and outside of college – whether for advice, support, or just a chat with someone who’s had similar experiences. There’s also a lot of financial support available should you need it, for a variety of circumstances, and a lot of people who are happy to help!

Groups and Societies

The Class Act Campaign:

FB: Oxford SU Class Act Campaign
Twitter :@ClassActOx

Founded in 2017, the campaign is for students who identify as working class, low income, state comprehensive-educated and/or first generation. The campaign has produced resources like an academic guide and a blog, which can be found on their website or through their Facebook page. The committee has various different reps for students to approach, and sub-groups such as the Women’s Group, the Regions Group (for students from under-represented areas), the State Comp Group, and the Class Act Plus Group (for those who want to help out!).

Class Act’s Facebook page also has information about events, resources and the committee.

Oxford First-Generation Students:

FB: Oxford First-Generation Students

For students who are the first in their family to go to university. The group runs socials and awareness campaigns.

Within College


Our Inreach Rep and is happy to have a chat about related issues at any time, or point out other contacts or resources.


There are several useful contacts. The Academic Office ( administers financial assistance awards to students in hardship.

The Access and Outreach Office runs regular events for prospective applicants. To get involved, email (


Students are encouraged to look at the ranges of grants, bursaries, prizes and awards offered by the College and detailed on the website. These include travel, book and sports grants, as well as means-tested summer bursaries for undergraduates undertaking summer work such as unpaid internships.

More information about this can also be found online or from the Academic Office.

Inreach programme:

There is an inreach programme to support students from access backgrounds during the transition from school to Oxford. They will be running social events and informal academic support sessions throughout the year to give you the chance to meet other students at Christ Church and develop your academic skills. For more details about this please feel free to email Thomas.

Across the University

The Counselling Service and the Student Advice Service may also provide useful support and resources to students.

Useful contacts within the Student Union are the Oxford SU Vice-President for Access and Academic Affairs ( and the Oxford SU Vice-President for Welfare and Equal Opportunities (

For financial worries, the university also has several avenues to try if college funding is unavailable or falls short. Please see the University website for details.

Disability Support

Disability refers to a mental or physical condition, or specific learning difficulty, which has long-term impact on your day-to-day life. In Oxford, this could be something which impacts your ability to live independently; something which means you require special arrangements in examinations; or another condition which you feel adversely affects your university experience. No matter what it is, there is a lot of support in Oxford to help you through any difficulties you may experience, both within Christ Church and the wider university.

First steps

If you have (or think you might have) a disability, you can contact one of Christ Church's link advisors at the University's Disability Advisory Service (DAS). The College's Disability Coordinator is the Academic Registrar (, who liaises closely with the DAS as adjustments are in place and can advise on College-specific support. 

The university website also has information about how to access disability support, as well as a list of the different forms of support that are available to help you.

If you have subject-specific issue, each department and faculty also have a Disability Coordinator and their contact details can be found here. You can also email the JCR/GCR Disabilities Officers who can help with informal enquiries.

Disability Advisory service (DAS)

ChCh contact:
Suzi Hughes (Mental Health Disabilities)

Pauline Graham (Physical Disabilities)

University website
01865 280459

The DAS offers support and advice for students with disabilities, including learning support, mental health advice, support for those with sensory and mobility impairments, health conditions, and autism spectrum disorder. Their website provides a wealth of information about getting support from the university.

Assessment for disabilities

You may also be entitled to extra funding/specialist equipment from the government, called the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA). Examples of the kind of help offered through the DSA are IT support which can record lectures and help support academic studies or money to help pay for taxis/transport to classes. More information can be found on the GOV.UK website. The DAS can advise on applying for the Disabled Student Allowance.

Alternative exam arrangements

if you require alternative examination arrangements, such as extra time, use of a computer, or rest time, due to a Specific Learning Disability or other disability, then an application for Alternative Examination Arrangements needs to be made via the Academic Office.

Some alternative arrangements can be managed by the Examinations Schools, such as the use of a computer or extra time; other arrangements, for example rest time or non-standard arrangements may mean you need to take your examinations in college.

You should initially contact the Disability Advisory Service (DAS), who will talk through your requirements and advise the college on what arrangements you need for your examinations.

If you need an SpLD assessment, the DAS will arrange this for you and will also offer guidance on what support you can get for your studies. It is best to contact the Disability Advisory service as early as possible in the year, so if you do need assessments these can be arranged; requests for alternative arrangements should usually be made no later than Friday of 4th week of the term before the examinations are due to take place.

Examination arrangements approved for University examinations will also be applied to college Collections.

If you require last-minute alternative arrangements for your examinations, for example due to an injury, you should contact the Academic Office as soon as possible. You will need to provide a medical note which explicitly states what arrangements you will need. 

Oxford Students’ Disability Community

The Oxford Students’ Disability Community is the Oxford University Student Union’s official Disability Campaign. They aim to provide support and advice for students at Oxford with disabilities, campaign for positive change with regards to disability at all levels of university life, organise disability-related events and raise awareness of disabilities and their impact.

The Disability Campaign also has a community group on Facebook, a confidential space where you can communicate with other students, give advice or ask for support. There are also separate groups for those with specific disabilities or conditions.

They offer helpful resources on their Student Union page, and also organise social events advertised through their Facebook page.

For more about getting involved, email the campaign chair at

Disability Rights UK

As a disabled person, you have rights which protect you from discrimination. These rights cover most areas, including education. It’s against the law for a school or other education provider to treat disabled students unfavourably. This includes:

  • Direct discrimination: for example, refusing admission to a student because of disability
  • Indirect discrimination: for example, only providing application forms in one format that may not be accessible
  • Harassment: in any form
  • Victimisation: for example, suspending a disabled student because they’ve complained about harassment

Know these rights and be sure to speak out in protection of these rights for yourself and others. More information about reporting harassment or discrimination.

Financial & Legal

Finances can sometimes be difficult to manage as a student, but both Christ Church and the university have plenty of grants and funds available to help reduce your financial worries, and there is plenty of advice online about how to best manage your money while at university. There are also many people to talk to about any concerns you have to prevent them from becoming problems. For international students, please see the International section for details regarding visas and opening bank accounts.

College resources


The College offers a range of grants and bursaries to support on-course students: these are detailed on the the College website.

Financial Support:

College has several forms of financial assistance that can be offered to students in financial hardship. The exact form of assistance is decided on a case-by-case basis. To apply for financial assistance, get in touch with the Academic Office. Please see the College website for further information.

Who to contact:

University Financial aid

Details for bursaries/scholarships offered by the university can be found on the fees and funding page.

Government support

Details about loans/support from the UK government can be found here.

Money Management

The following websites contain helpful advice about managing your expenses to avoid running into that overdraft more than necessary!

Estranged Students

There is support available in college and through the university for students who are estranged from their families. Please contact the Academic Office for information on the support available.

Legal Matters

Citizens advice bureau:
03444 111 444 (10 AM – 4 PM)

95 St Aldate’s

Free, independent advice on a variety of issues, from insurance to debt to consumer protection.

Our local branch is opposite Christ Church and right next to G&D’s.

Financial ombudsman:

Set up by parliament to resolve individual complaints between financial businesses (e.g. insurance companies, banks) and their customers.


Your academic life can play a big part in your wellbeing and the University and College are committed to providing a safe, supportive environment for all students. Work can be stressful for everyone, and if you feel it’s getting too much, you can find lots of useful resources on the Oxford SU, University and Counselling Service websites.

There are always places to go, though, and people who can help outlined below. The Counselling Service also has resources for academic life, including podcasts on exams and work stress, which can be found here. The Student Handbook is also a comprehensive resource for regulations and procedural matters during your time in Oxford.

Where to go in college

Your tutor:

This is often a good first step. While it can be intimidating to tell a tutor that you’re struggling, they’re the most likely to be able to help you and can often be more understanding than you’d think. Your tutor is also the person to go to with concerns about deadlines, the amount of work you’re getting, and discussions about suspending status.

The Welfare Tutors and Academic Office:

The welfare tutors can advise you on academic matters and support you in seeking changes, and can be helpful if you don’t want to go to your tutor. The Academic Office should be your main point of contact for requesting things like extensions for coursework submissions, as outlined below.

Postdoctoral Access Fellow:

The Postdoctoral Access Fellow, Ben Fernando, offers a range of academic skills support including sessions on time management and revision skills. Contact Ben via email:

Your college parents and/or subject reps:

They have been through the process before and will probably have a lot of helpful tips/strategies, such as what to prioritise during revision. Don’t hesitate to contact them or any of the others in the years above you – they will be more than happy to help.

Academic Complaints

Please refer to the complaints guidance online should you have a complaint about a tutor.

Alternatively, you can contact the Chaplain, Clare, the Welfare Tutors, or another tutor you trust. Feel free to bring a friend with you!

If you are made uncomfortable by a tutor/staff member concerning your membership of a minority group, it is not your duty to debate them. The whole Welfare Team are here to offer support and guidance should you wish to report any issues. Click here for more information about reporting harassment or discrimination. For out-of-college complaints, you can contact your department’s Director of Undergraduate/Graduate Studies, or in more serious matters, the Proctors. More info can be found in the Student Handbook or on the University website. The most important thing is to remember that you won’t be penalised or discriminated against for making a complaint, and all complaints will be treated with confidentiality.

Suspending Status

Suspending status is a joint decision taken by a student and staff, usually for medical/mental health reasons. Remember that this is a big decision, and there are other options available. The Welfare Team, Peer Supporters, Clare and the Counselling Service are all there for you if you need someone to talk to, and you can find a great Counselling Service podcast about making this decision here. The next step would be to discuss it with your tutors, then contact the Academic Office to discuss it formally.

You are eligible to use the Counselling Service while suspended and will be offered the same level of therapeutic support as other students. The Counselling Service can also help you find appropriate therapeutic or medical support back home.

If you suspend you can still access online resources, including email and university libraries, but you won’t be able to attend lectures or tutorials or use any college facilities/attend college events. More details can be found on the website.

Exams and assessments


These are 0th week mock exams held in college. You wear a gown, but not full sub fusc, and sit a paper your tutor sets in exam conditions (though it’s usually fine to bring in your phone to check the time). Timetables and seating plans are circulated a few days before.

University Exams:

Your exam timetable and candidate number can both be found on Student Self Service.

Exams are held either in Exam Schools on High Street, which is a 10 min walk from Canterbury gate or Ewert House in Summertown, which is easily reachable by bus number 2 (opposite the Tesco Metro past Cornmarket) or taxi, which take approximately 15 min. Otherwise, it is about a 40-minute walk.

If for any reason (such as acute illness) you are unable to sit your exams, contact the Academic Office as soon as possible. 

Sub fusc:

You need to wear full sub fusc to exams, which means:

  • Gown
  • Dark suit with dark socks OR Dark skirt with black tights or stockings OR Dark trousers with dark socks or dark hosiery
  • Black shoes
  • Plain white blouse/collared shirt
  • White bow tie, black bow tie, black full-length tie, or black ribbon.
  • Your mortarboard (don’t wear it, just carry it!)
  • If you wear a head dress or scarf for religious reasons, it should be black

Carnations are traditionally worn to exams: white for your first exam, pink for the middle ones and red for your final exam. Usually, your college parents will buy these for you for Prelims or Mods, and you’ll return the favour for their finals! If you don’t have them a couple of days before your exams get in touch with your subject reps and/or the Welfare Reps.

On the day:

Detailed guidance can be found on the university website.

Alternative arrangements for religious observances:

If you wish to uphold religious observances that impact your ability to sit examinations at particular times, you should speak with the Academic Office at the earliest opportunity to make an initial application for alternative arrangements so that your preferences may be taken into account during the setting of the examination timetable.

Once you receive your individual timetable, if there are any clashes with your religious observance, you may apply to the university for an adjustment to your individual timetable.

Mitigating Circumstances:

You should seek advice from the Academic Office as soon as you realise there is a problem, even if the exams haven’t started yet. College will be able to advise on the options open to you, including the possibility of withdrawal from examinations and returning to take them at a later date. Keep in mind that applications for extenuating circumstances don’t usually result in marks being changed, but other measures may be taken to account for them.

If you’d like the university examiners to be aware of any factors that may have affected your performance before or during an examination (e.g. acute illness, unforeseen circumstances, bereavement, disability, long-term health condition), contact the Academic Office. You will need to provide medical evidence from a doctor who has seen you in the run-up to the specific exams in question, whether it is a physical or mental health problem. Do this as soon as possible, before the examination is marked.

You will be able to view the outcome of your application via the results screen on Student Self Service when your year outcome has been released.

More detailed guidance about this can be found on the University website.

If you require last-minute alternative arrangements for your exams (e.g. due to an injury) you should contact the Academic Office as soon as possible. You need to provide a medical note that explicitly states what arrangements you will need. The same applies if you have to miss an examination due to illness.

Missing/Late coursework

Requesting extensions:

If you will need to submit your work late, because of either illness or another urgent cause, you should ask the Academic Office to apply to the Proctors for the late submission to be excused in advance. You will need to provide evidence in most cases, such as a medical certificate.

Late submissions:

The Proctors will not accept as reasons for lateness delays in postage, reliance on third parties to deliver your work, or printing problems, or, for submission of work electronically, problems with email or server speeds, computer break down, virus infection or lost or stolen files. Make sure you keep enough backups of your work and try to format/print it in advance!

If you are late in handing work in you should consult the Academic Office as soon as possible. All work that is submitted after the deadline without prior permission will incur a late submission fee, unless this fee is waived by the Proctors.

More detailed guidelines about submitting work can be found in the Student Handbook Section 7 and the University website.

Preparatory sessions and mocks

Mock examinations, examination orientation and examination preparation sessions are held in Hilary and Trinity terms. These sessions are designed to prepare you for sitting your examinations, allowing you to familiarise yourself with venues, examination regulations and practice examination papers, whilst staff are on hand to answer any questions you may have. Details can be found on the university website.

Examination Preparation session:

The examination preparation session is a 60-minute talk to help you prepare in the months and weeks before examinations, to ensure you are ready and confident. The session will consist of examination orientation and an introduction to the Disability Advisory Service, the Counselling Service, the Student Advice Service and past students to equip you with the knowledge to plan your examination day effectively. Following the session there will be an optional tour of several examination rooms at the Examination Schools.

Exam orientation:

Examination orientation is a one-hour talk to clarify examination regulations, what to expect on the day and is an opportunity to ask questions about examinations, locations and any other concerns. A separate Alternative Arrangement Orientation session is available to those who have approved or are seeking approval for alternative examination arrangements, such as extra time or use of a computer.

Mock Examinations:

Mock exams are optional three-hour invigilated examination sittings where you will have an opportunity to ask questions at the end of the three hours. You need to bring your own past examination paper, arrange for your script to be marked, arrive at least 20 minutes beforehand and wearing full sub fusc. They give you a chance to see what it will be like on the day. You can register for them here. If you require alternative arrangements please email

Useful Apps

Myths Debunked

Many myths surround Oxford and particularly around student welfare and lifestyle. While these may be intimidating before you arrive, you will quickly find that most of them are simply not true! This section tries to clear up some of the most common ones, but if you have any questions don’t hesitate to get in touch with anyone on the Welfare Team.

“Freshers’ Week is the best time of everyone’s life”

Whilst some people love Freshers’ Week, others find it a very stressful experience. When you talk to your friends a year later, you may well find that even some of those who were raving about how great their Freshers’ Week was will admit that it wasn’t really all that! No one likes to admit that they’re struggling, but in reality, the first week at university is a scary time for most people. Our advice is to try your hardest to make the most of it and enjoy yourself, but don’t be discouraged if you don’t seem to be enjoying it as much as everyone else! Remember that not enjoying Freshers’ Week doesn’t mean you won’t enjoy Oxford.

“The friends you make (or don’t make!) in Freshers’ Week will be your friends for life”

The friends you make in your first week here won’t necessarily be the friends you will have forever, just as those you met on the first day at primary/secondary school/sixth form probably aren’t! Even if you don’t find someone to click with straight away, remember that there are so many people you haven’t had the chance to meet, nor are nights out or big events necessarily the best places to meet the people you’ll really click with. You’ll meet people throughout your time that you didn’t even catch sight of during Freshers’ Week, and your subject, sports and societies are a great chance to meet new people – give it time!

“You need to drink/go out every night to fit in”

There are a lot of people at Oxford who don’t drink for a number of reasons or don’t enjoy clubbing. There are plenty of great non-drinking, non-clubbing events organised in Freshers’ Week. Don’t be afraid to have a night off, even if you do drink – Freshers’ Week can be exhausting. And if you don’t drink, don’t let that discourage you from going on one of the club nights!

“Criticism means you’re doing badly”

Tutorials are designed to challenge you, and your tutors only criticise you to help you improve. If your tutors are concerned about how you are doing, they will tell you, and if you’re worried then just ask.

“Tutors are scary and don’t care about your wellbeing”

Most tutors are normal, compassionate, understanding humans. Don’t be afraid to talk to them about any difficulties you are experiencing.

“No mark means a bad mark”

If you are unclear or unhappy about how your work is being marked, talk to your tutor and they will at least explain it. If you are worried about how you are doing academically, let your tutor know and ask for advice about what aspect of your work you should concentrate on, they should be more than happy to help.

“You can never miss a deadline”

Oxford terms are short, and tutors set deadlines carefully in order that all work can be completed in the time provided and that students do not become overwhelmed or develop a backlog. If you are unable to meet a deadline for reasons such as illness, let your tutors know as soon as possible, and always in advance of the deadline, so they can advise on what steps to take.

“If you talk to someone in a welfare role they will tell your family/tutors/college/etc.”

Confidentiality is a key part of all these people’s roles. Except in the case of an emergency where there is threat of harm to you or others, everyone is bound by confidentiality and can only encourage you to disclose. The Counselling Service is completely separate from the college, and cannot disclose any information to them. Similarly, the Chaplain and Nurse are separate from all academic matters, and again bound by confidentiality. Peer Supporters undergo substantial training including confidentiality – they are not even permitted to say they have spoken to you. For more details on the confidentiality policy, see here.

“If you talk to someone about your welfare they will judge you”

Judgement-free listening is a key part of welfare roles. Putting views, opinions, culture and experiences aside is part of their training, so please don’t be put off!

“The Chaplain will only deal with issues from a religious point of view”

Clare’s role of Chaplain is combined with the role of Welfare Co-ordinator. She trained as a Social Worker and is a good listener, free of judgement, religious or otherwise, like the rest of the Welfare Team!

“Counselling Service waiting times are really long”

The Counselling Service endeavours to see people within 2 weeks at the most (average waiting time is 8 working days), and much quicker in non-busy times. Some people have had negative experiences, but remember that it is much quicker than any NHS waiting time to see someone. If you’ve been waiting for over 2 weeks, please contact the Counselling Service or ask one of the Welfare Team to do so on your behalf!

“Doctors won’t take you seriously if you come with a mental health problem”

Some doctors are better than others, but most are aware of mental health issues and will help you get the help you need. If you feel a doctor hasn’t taken you seriously, please don’t be discouraged and persist with a different doctor, or take a friend/peer supporter along for support.

“Oxford is a really stressful place”

Oxford is a stressful environment, which can sometimes mean that there is a greater concentration of mental health problems due to the pressure and environmental factors. However, being in a stressful environment is by no means bound to result in mental health problems as there are a lot of resources in place across the university (see Mental Health section) to support students.

“You’re the only one struggling”

Most people have times at Oxford where they are stressed or feel they can’t manage. In such short terms with high-pressured environments, it’s only natural to feel this way. If you’re struggling you are definitely not the only one – please share your worries with someone if you feel you can.

“People will see you as weak or in a different way if you experience mental health difficulty”

Oxford is one of the most open places to speak about mental health. You’ll find that there is more discussion, and there are many student-run groups to join for those interested in discussing these – Mind Your Head is a particularly good one. 1 in 4 people in the world will experience mental health problems in the space of a year and with over 20,000 people in the university, there are more people than you think who are experiencing mental health difficulty – and even more who were never formally diagnosed or have previously experienced difficulty. Mental health problems are becoming more and more recognised as legitimate illnesses, and most people are understanding, having had either direct or indirect experience themselves. Most importantly, the university on the whole will not consider you weak or discriminate against you.


Reporting Harassment

A person subjects another to harassment where they engage in unwanted or unwarranted conduct which has the purpose or effect of violating another person’s dignity OR creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for another person. The Christ Church Harassment Policy can be found in the Blue Book, and the University Harassment Policy can be found here.

Forms of harassment

  • Face to face – this can be verbal and/or physical.
  • Through forms of communication: written, electronic, or social media.
  • The harassment can be directly to the person or through a third party.
  • Harassment can also be through a prevailing environment which creates a culture that tolerates harassment or bullying.


Characterised as offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, or misuse of power through means intended to undermine, humiliate, denigrate or injure the recipient.


Includes the following

  • Following
  • Contacting/attempting to contact by any means
  • Watching
  • Loitering
  • Monitoring
  • Interfering

Examples of harassment:

Include but are not limited to:

  • Unwanted physical contact
  • All forms of sexual harassment
  • Offensive comments or body language
  • Open hostility
  • Offensive jokes/gestures
  • Rumours
  • Constant non-constructive criticism
  • Threatening to disclose personal information
  • Deliberately using the wrong pronoun or name or persistently referring to an individual’s gender identity
  • Publishing/circulating/displaying offensive material
  • Isolation 
  • Insulting, abusive, embarrassing, humiliating, intimidating, demeaning or patronising behaviour/comments

Protection from victimisation:

The college harassment policy protects anyone who has made an allegation of harassment, expressed an intention to do so, or participated in any part of the process (e.g. supporting someone, participation at a hearing) from being treated badly because of this.

Important things to remember

  • The recipient of harassment does NOT have to explicitly state that the behaviour is/was unwanted.
  • Harassment may involve repeated forms of behaviour but a one-off incident can also amount to harassment.
  • Alcohol and/or drug influence is not an excuse for harassment.
  • Intentions of a harasser are not always determinative of whether harassment has taken place. Perception and circumstance is also relevant!


The college Harassment Officers/Advisors can be reached on and you can get in touch with for advice at any point in the procedure. They are best placed to advise you on what to do next and how to make a formal written complaint against another student or staff member. At no time should you feel obliged to approach an alleged harasser.

If you do not feel comfortable contacting them, you can contact the Harassment Line for details of another advisor (Tel.01865 270760 or e-mail


Disclaimer: We will endeavour to keep the online version of this booklet as up-to-date as possible, but we are also busy students and so we accept no legal responsibility for any erroneous information provided here. Details about the university confidentiality policy can be found here. If you encounter any issues/mistakes, please email the Academic Office at and we’ll correct it ASAP!

Header image credits: Ramez Magdy (