Blue Book Section IV: Health and welfare

The health and welfare of students is taken seriously and there are many different people available for advice and support. Current information about the Christ Church Welfare Team and the Welfare Handbook can be found on the Christ Church website.

Internal College resources

Welfare emergencies

In the case of a welfare emergency, Junior Members should contact the Lodge ((2)76150), who hold a list of emergency contacts and will immediately inform an available member of the welfare team.

College Chaplain and Welfare Coordinator

The College Chaplain and Welfare Coordinator, Reverend Clare Hayns, is based in Killcanon 1 and offers advice and pastoral support to all members of Christ Church from all religious beliefs or none. Appointments can be made via email, and welfare-related meetings will take place either in person or online. The Chaplain and Welfare Coordinator can be contacted via email:

Welfare Tutors

The Welfare Tutor, Dr Kate Lebow, is available for advice and guidance on work and/or study-related matters.

Personal Tutors

Each undergraduate has a Personal Tutor, who is responsible for the general oversight of the Junior Member’s work and welfare. A Personal Tutor will check that academic arrangements are working well, and is available to discuss matters of concern. A Personal Tutor is normally one of the Senior Subject Tutors for their subject, unless stipulated otherwise. If undergraduates are not sure who their Personal Tutor is, they may email the Academic Office to enquire. 

College Advisers

Each postgraduate has a College Adviser, who provides pastoral support and academic advice, as a complement to the University Supervisor. Guidance for College Advisees and further explanation of this role can be found on the College website.

Academic Registrar

The Academic Registrar is the College’s Disability Coordinator and Hardship Officer, and is available for support and advice regarding examinations, finances, and academic concerns via email at

College Counsellor

Wanderley Santos from the University Counselling Service is based at Christ Church one day per week from 0th-9th Week each term. Appointments can be made directly with him via, and will be either in person (Killcanon 2a) or online. Junior Members can request to speak with a Black, Asian or ethnic minority counsellor through the University Counselling Service.


There are three Wardens; these are graduate students who provide out of hours support (19:00 – 07:00) who can be contacted by phoning the Porters’ Lodge or emailed at They are able to offer support and advice to Junior Members on general welfare matters. The current Wardens are Declan Pang, Sanskriti Swarup and Luke Young.

Welfare Reps and Peer Supporters

The JCR and GCR also provide excellent welfare support via Welfare Reps and Peer Supporters. Up to date information is in the Welfare Handbook.

Harassment Advisers

See Section I for details of Christ Church’s Harassment Policy and Procedures. If you are concerned that you are a victim of harassment, you can contact the Harassment Advisers, who are listed in the policy, for support.

University-wide services

As well as College structures for advice and support, there are a number of external services that are provided for all Junior Members. A contact list of emergency services and non-emergency health, welfare and academic support services can be found on the University website. The University already provides a wide range of welfare support services and pastoral care for students, and is ready to deliver these established services in ways that take account of the changed circumstances that all of us face this year.  

The University’s Student Welfare and Support Services (SWSS) provides a range of specialist welfare services to all students at the University. This includes counselling (one-to-one and group sessions), support for disabled students, support for students who have experienced sexual violence, and mediation. Their provision is currently available to all students online (by video, chat or email), in person, and by telephone.

The Counselling Service have produced many helpful podcasts related to University life. There are ten short videos hosted on Canvas aimed at any student who is new to remote learning, or would like to study online more effectively.  Students of all levels, especially those who been out of formal education recently, will benefit from the advice. The talks have been written and produced by specialist study skills tutors in the Disability Advisory Service with input from Centre for Teaching and Learning and other colleagues. The talks are available to all students via this link. Some quick tips for remote study have also been published on the Oxford Students website.  

There is also information about University and college chaplains of different faiths, who may offer students to students of various faiths and beliefs (including no religious belief).

It also explains how the University offers financial support for students facing financial hardship.

The University Counselling Service

The University has a professional, confidential Counselling Service for assistance with personal, emotional, social and academic problems. Both undergraduate and graduate students of the University may use the Service without charge and individuals may self-refer from the University website or be referred by a member of the Welfare Team. The Service can also act as a bridge to other therapeutic facilities where appropriate. Junior Members can request to speak with a Black, Asian or ethnic minority counsellor through the University Counselling Service.

Contact Details: 3, Worcester Street, OX1 2BX


Togetherall: supporting mental health wellbeing

The University has recently broadened the mental health support available to students with a new online service, Togetherall. This free online support service is open to all Oxford students. Giving access to a global welfare community, moderated by mental health professionals Togetherall provides a safe space for students to help self-manage their mental health and wellbeing - whether they are struggling to sleep, feeling low, stressed or unable to cope.

To join, students should visit and register under ‘’I’m from a university or college” with their Oxford email address.

The University will not be informed if students sign up to Togetherall or know of students’ activities on the service, unless Togetherall has serious safety concerns.  In that case, Togetherall will contact the University/College welfare team. 

Student Advice Service

The Oxford SU speaks and campaigns on a range of issues that bear on student welfare, and provides training for student welfare officers. The Student Union coordinate the Student Advice Service, offering free, independent, confidential support. See their website for details.

Sexual harassment and/or violence

The University website contains guidance on what to do in the case of sexual violence, including contact information for the nearest Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC). The University Sexual Harassment and Violence Service offers an all-in-one provision for any students who have been affected by sexual harassment or violence. Further links to external agencies offering support can be found on the University website.

Resources for student parents

The University website offers guidance on services available to student parents. The Oxford SU also publishes a Student Parent Handbook, holds student parent socials, and has a mailing list to disseminate information about family-friendly events, funding opportunities, and other information.

Resources for care-experienced students

Information about funding available for care-experienced students can be found on the University website. Care-experienced students are also encouraged to contact the Academic Office to find out more about support available. 

Resources for estranged students

The University is committed to supporting students who are studying without the support and approval of their families, and has signed the Standalone Pledge. Details of the financial support available for estranged students can be found on the University website. Christ Church recognises that estranged students may face particular financial challenges and will seek to support them wherever possible. Students are encouraged to contact the Academic Office to find out more about support available.

Support from academic departments and faculties

Some departments and faculties offer their own support services to their students, and some will direct them to their colleges. Information about how departments and faculties provide for student welfare is available on departmental websites and in course handbooks.

Medical Support

College Nurse

The College Nurse has a surgery each day from Monday 0th Week to Friday 9th Week between 09:30 – 16:30.

Junior Members in need of treatment or medical advice should first contact the Nurse via telephone or email (tel. (2)76176 /email rather than visiting in person, so that she can assess whether an in-person visit is necessary.

The Nurse also provides advice on family planning, managing anxiety, and travel health precautions, and can arrange for meals for those not well enough to go to Hall. If a Junior Member needs to go to hospital the Lodge must be informed as they will arrange a taxi free of charge to and from the John Radcliffe and will inform the Nurse for follow-up care. Scouts enter Junior Members’ rooms regularly and it is part of their work to report any cases of sickness or injury so that the Nurse can be informed, but Junior Members are also encouraged to contact the Nurse directly by phone or email if they are unwell. Please note that the Nurse has access to electronic medical notes through the EMIS system.

College Doctor

Registration with a General Medical Practitioner

All Freshers are required to register with a General Practitioner in Oxford by the end of 2nd Week of Michaelmas Term and continue to be registered with such a Practitioner for the duration of their course. All Junior Members are strongly advised to register with the College Doctor via the online registration forms provided before the beginning of Michaelmas Term. Any Fresher not registering with the College Doctor must inform the College Nurse of the name and address of their medical practitioner in Oxford by the end of 2nd Week of Michaelmas Term.

The College Doctor is Dr Susanna Jenkin, 27 @Northgate, Oxford (tel. 01865 311500).

The College Nurse can book appointments for Junior Members with the College Doctor.

Dental Treatment

Undergraduates and graduates can go to the NHS Studental dental practice located in the Colonnade Building at Oxford Brookes University. Those entitled to full or partial exemption from charges (as very many university students are) must have an exemption certificate before attending for treatment, or the appropriate NHS fee must be charged. The exemption forms (HC1) can be obtained from GP surgeries, dental practices and the Post Office. Note that Studental are currently oversubscribed, and Junior Members are encouraged to have regular dental check-ups during the vacation if possible.

Contact details: tel. 01865 689997 or visit

Disability Support

Christ Church wishes to enable any student with disabilities to study at the College, and will make reasonable adjustments to make this possible in line with the University’s ‘Common Framework for Supporting Disabled Students’.   

In accordance with this Framework, Christ Church has a Disability Lead and a Disability Coordinator:

Disability Lead Senior Censor tel. (2)76157


Disability Coordinator Academic Registrar tel. (2)76157


Students should contact the Disability Coordinator to inform them of any disabilities as early as possible during their studies, so that any reasonable adjustments can be put in place. 

The Disability Advisory Service

The University Disability Advisory Service provides support and advice to students who have a disability, including learning support, mental health advice, support for those with sensory and mobility impairments, long-term health conditions, and autistic spectrum conditions. They can arrange disability assessments and help students apply for disability-related financial support. They also advise the College on what examination arrangements would be suitable for students with disabilities, liaising with the Academic Registrar.

For any queries about the process of applying for alternative examination arrangements, please contact the Academic Office.

The Disability Advisory Service website has a great deal of helpful information and Junior Members are encouraged to make use of their assistance and advice.

Contact Details: 3 Worcester Street, Oxford, OX1 2BX

  tel. 01865 280459, email

Christ Church has a contact staff member at the Disability Advisory Service, who may be contacted directly: Pauline Graham. Christ Church also has a designated staff member who works with students with mental health disabilities: Suzi Hughes.  

Suspending Status

Undergraduate suspension

Any Junior Member who, for personal reasons such as health or welfare, needs to suspend their studies, should speak in the first instance to the Academic Registrar. Junior Members are also encouraged to seek support from medical and/or welfare services (see internal welfare resources and external welfare resources).

The permission of the Senior Censor and subject tutors is required for an undergraduate to suspend status. Suspension is usually for one year. The most common reason for suspending status is ill-health (when a doctor’s certificate is required in evidence). Suspending status is not normally allowed on other grounds. The return of Junior Members to College after a period of suspension will usually be subject to conditions.

In the case of ill-health, one condition will be a medical certificate indicating that the member is fit to resume their studies. Recommencement of studies, including after suspension on disciplinary grounds or for other reasons, will usually also be made conditional upon achieving a specified level in one or more Collections. Details of these conditions will be given in writing to the Junior Member concerned at the time of suspension. A Junior Member who has been set Collections as a condition of coming back into residence but fails to achieve the standard set has the right to appeal in writing to the Censor Theologiae within 14 days of the results being communicated to them.

If a Junior Member suspends their studies while subject to Academic Disciplinary procedures (see Appendix B), any conditions such as Formal Warnings will remain in place after suspension.

The University website provides further information about suspension from an undergraduate course, including guidance about access to University facilities and services, and how suspension of status can impact visa holders. The College remains in regular support with suspended students, with appropriate measures put in place for each case.

Graduate suspension

Graduate students should, in the first instance, discuss their circumstances with their supervisor and the relevant administrative staff in their department or faculty. Graduate suspensions are primarily administered by departments, though suspension requests must be approved by the College following a supervisor’s approval.

The Academic Registrar and Tutor for Graduates are available to meet with graduate students to discuss their circumstances prior to, or following, a suspension application. Further information about suspending from a graduate course, including guidance to University facilities and services, and how suspension of status can affect visa holders, can be found on the University website.

When Junior Members are out of residence, whether voluntarily or compulsorily, they may not, without the specific permission of the Senior Censor:

  1. make use of any College facilities, including the Library, the Sports facilities, the Hall, or the Bar;
  2. receive tutorials, attend classes or otherwise receive academic instruction under the aegis of the College;
  3. spend any significant time on College premises;
  4. attend any function in College; or
  5. occupy College accommodation.

Fitness to Study

If there are concerns regarding a Junior Member’s Fitness to Study, due to medical, psychological, or emotional problems, then the Senior Censor will discuss the situation with the Junior Member and, where necessary, any other relevant members of College, such as Tutors, the Tutor for Graduates, a graduate's College Advisor or another member of their department, or a member of the welfare team. In the case of an undergraduate student, the College is the ‘primary body’ for the student concerned and the department/faculty of the University is the ‘secondary body’. In the case of a graduate student, the department/faculty of the University is considered to be the primary body of the student concerned. The primary body is expected to have in place procedures to make recommendations or decisions about a student’s fitness to study. In cases where a student’s behaviour (as defined at 3.1 below) is causing concern in the secondary body only (i.e. the department/faculty for undergraduate students), it may be appropriate for the secondary body to ask the primary body to take forward fitness to study procedures. The College’s Fitness to Study Policy and Procedures can be found here: